There is still time to let the Board of Governors know they should reject their proposed post-tenure review regulation, which would severely weaken tenure. The deadline to submit a comment has been extending to December 9th!
If you have difficulty submitting a comment through the Board of Governor’s website when using Chrome or Firefox, please try again using the Microsoft Edge browser. Plese read below to review the background of the proposal and UFF-UF’s plan to stand against it.
As you may know, the Board of Governors recently approved a post-tenure review regulation (BOG 10.003) for the State University System (SUS). The approval process for this regulation requires a two-week period for public comment, and after 30 days the Board can formally adopt the regulation with any final revisions. We believe this final adoption will occur during the Board of Governors’ next scheduled meeting at Florida International University on January 24-25, 2023.
UFF has stated repeatedly that this regulation, if adopted in its current form, will virtually eliminate tenure and deal a crippling blow to academic freedom in the state of Florida. In response, we need anyone who cares about Florida’s colleges and universities to join in halting or amending this regulation before time runs out.
Here is what you can do: provide public comment on this proposed regulation.
- Familiarize yourself with the details of the policy by reading it here.
- Feel free to use our talking-points.
- Here is a template for writing your comment. Remember that personalized perspectives will have the most impact.
- Send your comment to the Board of Governors using their website. Scroll down to “Chapter 10: Miscellaneous Provisions,” then select the “Submit a Comment” link in the “Post-Tenure Faculty Review” box.
- Ask five of your colleagues, friends, family members, community allies, and local elected officials to also leave public comment on or to otherwise advocate against the regulation.
Again, the deadline to leave public comment is Dec 9, 2022, so don’t delay: leave your comment as soon as possible and encourage others to do so as well!
If you would like to get more involved in UFF’s efforts to stop post-tenure review, please respond to this form with your name and contact information. Together, we can protect the Florida higher education system from this harmful and short-sighted regulation.